Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Sign of Spring


I finally felt safe today to put out the pottery stands in the front yard. Though the temps will drop below freezing this week, no precipitation is predicted, so I won't suffer the breakage that comes from having a pot full of water freeze up. I usually leave the work outside day and night once the season begins, moving it only to clean and refresh the display, and also to mow under it. Though it is out overnight, we've had surprisingly little theft and no vandalism. Occasionally we get up (or come home) to money or an IOU in the mailbox! No sales today, though.

These are all seconds (but not thirds or fourths, if you know what I mean) or else pots that have been kicking around for a long time, that I am tired of looking at. A few were pieces I made as class demos. The yard sale never generates a great lot of money, but in the summer it's a steady stream of five-dollar-bills -- enough to buy cat food when we are out, or a quart of milk so I won't have to drink ny coffee black. 

3 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Wow, you must have honest folk around there. I guess most folks are honest, just some who aren't. I just gave my signs a new coat of paint to put out by the road so I can open my studio up. I live on a highway so I get a little traffic from tourists.

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of waking up or walking up to money in the mailbox. And your customers have 24 hour shopping!

Lori Watts said...

I happened to be at the front window today and see a woman steal a bottle! I ran out and yelled at her, and she dropped it into some bushes and kept walking. Made me so mad I could've spit. It's not the first time it's ever happened, but it is the first time I saw it happen.