Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Doesn't This Sound Yummy?

#1170 Temmoku
Cone 10
It will go amber/gold in salt firing, black in soda.

316 Kingman Feldspar (can use G-200 or Custer)
204 Silica
75 EPK
133 Whiting
71 Red Iron Oxide

And there are a whole bunch more at Wikiclay. Here's another:

#2311 Sandra Johnstone Pumpkin glaze C10

44 Kingman Potspar (try Custer of G200)
12 Whiting
10 Barium carb
10 Kaolin
3 Silica

Add: 1 Red Iron Oxide %
6 Rutile
2 Bentonite
*Base is in grams and doesn't total 100%

Ooops, though: barium. I don't keep barium in the studio; can't spare the neurons. What's that barium/ strontium substitution? Hmm, googling... Found it: .75 parts strontium in place of 1 part barium.

This one claims to be a shino for Soda/salt. I've never had good luck with that; I always get a washed out result. But wouldn't it be great! It's got Chris Gustin's name on it, which makes me more optimistic:

#2807 Gustin Shino (good liner, apply thin, particulary if you use it on bisque,or it will crawl).

45 Neph Sy
11 F4 soda spar
15 Spodumene
15 Ball Clay
10 Calcined kaolin
4 Soda ash

Oh, okay, one more. These are better than bedtime stories!

#3165 Amber Celadon C9-10 Dark treacle brown

(lighter on porcelain or white stoneware). You can use it very thin for reddish accents in soda.

36 Albany slip (try Alberta slip)
22 Custer spar
3 Gerstley borate
14 Wollastonite
8 Whiting
14 Flint

I always have a psyche myself up a bit to mix glazes, as I find it tedious. But I'm inspired now!

2 comments:

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

I always dread having to mix glaze too. Very much enjoy the new glazes being available, but hate getting there. I've been wanting to mix up Amber Celedon for a while now so I'll have to give that one a try. Thanks.

Lori Watts said...

Sue -- The marine clay that is found EVERYWHERE in Maine has proved, in other recipes, to be a good one-for-one substitute for Albany slip -- better than Alberta, which has, in my amber seladons, created a scummy appearance. No one is mining it so it's a bit of a pain; I have to slake it, sieve it, dry it, and pulverize it before I can use it. But: gorgeous results.