Saturday, August 27, 2011

You Know What I Hate?



You're glazing your butt off, just motoring along. You know how when you hit the groove, and glazing becomes fun? And then some bloody hurricane comes along and ruins it.

I was really loving it, brushing, trailing, listening to Beau Soleil because when I tried to listen to NPR the stupid emergency alert was going off every 20 minutes. Yes, yes, I know, Irene is coming -- anyone who doesn't know that by now needn't worry, because they must be already dead. I still have two good outdoor glazing hours, but now the winds are picking up - already! - and it's time to drag all the outdoor stuff indoors (or, more properly, into the various outbuildings.) Can't get to my glaze kitchen because Paddy O'Furniture is laying up in there; so much for the bucket of oribe I was planning to mix. I also should really secure the summer-studio-cum-glazing shed; it won't do for the door to blow open and all of my glazed ware get soaked.
Anyway, enough griping. We here in central Maine are likely to get off fairly lightly; regarding the expected tropical storm force winds, the National Weather Service has this to say:

MINOR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR TO OLDER MOBILE HOMES. RESIDENTS SHOULD MOVE LOOSE ITEMS INDOORS... SUCH AS GARBAGE CANS AND OUTDOOR FURNITURE... AS THEY WILL BE BLOWN AROUND. NEWLY PLANTED OR YOUNG TREES AND SHRUBS MAY BE UPROOTED IF NOT SECURED PROPERLY. ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES WILL BE POSSIBLE.

Anyway. I ought to go and secure my garbage cans & such. Wherever you are, be safe!

1 comment:

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

Hope you made it through OK. Our eldest child is in VA about an hour south of DC. They got shook pretty bad with the earthquake and then followed up with Irene at the end of the week. So much excitement in such a short time.