Saturday, October 20, 2012

Things To Do While the Kiln is Firing

  1. Paper up the door: my least favorite job, wet and messy as it is, but it's important: it prevents heat loss through the tiny gaps between the bricks, and also prevents oxygen from seeping into the kiln through those same gaps. 
  2. Clean up the studio! During a firing is the best time to do it, as that's when the studio is most empty.
  3. ...not to mention, clean up the rest of the house. Usually the few days before a firing I am totally involved in preparations - waxing, glazing, making wadding and cone packs and door mud - and it is ASTONISHING how messy the house can get lacking a few days attention. No, I'm not a neat freak. I just hate mess.
  4. Post my belated Thursday Inspiration.
  5. Return phone calls and emails, neglected (like the housework) during preparations for the firing.
  6. Loading a kiln always stirs up ideas for new pots, so making stuff goes on the list!
Six is a doable list, I think...
  1. Or, you know, bugger it all and get an eBook and a six of Shipyard. 

2 comments:

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Looks like a good list. How long does it take to fire your kiln? Then how long does it have to cool prior to opening?

Cleaning the studio is my #1. I like the new idea list too.

Lori Watts said...

I candle overnight, after that it takes about 13 hours to reach temp, and I have to cool it for two days, so this one will unload Tuesday; or Monday night if I just can't stand to wait.
I decided to merge the two list as much as possible, which is to say, cleaning house and studio while enjoying a cold one. Or three. :)