Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Stacking Jars, Part 1

I've always loved to make those lidded jars that are thrown in one piece, notched, and then cut apart to form lid and jar. (You can see one here.) I don't know why, but it never occurred to me before today that you don't have to stop with one notch! If you make two, or more, and then add bottoms between sections, you've got a set of stacking jars. Like so:

First, pull up a cylinder and collar it in until it is closed.

 Then, use a rib to scrape off the wet slurry on the outside, and to shape it into a flat-topped cylinder.

Then, with the fat end of the needle tool held at a 45º, press into the side of the wall 1/3 of the way up.

Then do the same thing 1/3 of the way down, and about 1/4 inch down.


Poke a pinhole at the bottom of one of those notches.

Tomorrow, when this gets to leatherhard, I'll show how I cut the sections apart and add bottoms to make stacking jars.

4 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

i have made those one those one piece jars and it never entered my mind to make a stacking jar! I just might have to give that a go...

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

Brilliant!

DirtKicker Pottery said...

way cool :)
Two high would make perfect salt and pepper pinch jars.

Unknown said...

What a great tutorial! I need to try this :)