Saturday, January 10, 2015

New Take on a Classic

Everyone knows what a gravy boat looks like, right? There's a classic shape that we see reincarnated in different materials. I've made this shape out of clay in several ways - an ovaled bowl with a turned-in rim, a bottom-added ewer shape with the rim cut in a swoop - but I've never really loved my results. They always seem...contrived, I guess.

Luckily, the classic is not the only form that will serve to transport gravy to your potatoes. I kept the oval shape - so helpful in channeling the liquid - and obviously the spout and handle are indispensable. Maybe it will become the new classic!

Open all the way down to the bat, then pull up and in.
Collar in until the form is closed; pinch off the top.
Rib off slurry, and slightly flatten dome.
Press into an oval shape. IRl this is a 2-handed operation!

Have patience! this works much better if the piece is leatherhard.
Using food coloring, plan out the shape of the opening.
Cut the opening. The wall will be a bit thicker where the piece was collared in.
Trim away the excess thickness.
Smooth and shape the edge
Throw a small disc, about 3 inches in diameter
Cut a gibbous moon shape away. You will be using the larger piece.
 Attach to piece
You will also want to attach a bottom (Thanks, Captain Obvious!) and a handle. I tried a few handle shapes; I am liking the high loop best, I think. That may change after I have had a chance to test drive these. An alternative way to make the spout: throw a small bowl and cut a broad scoop out of the wall. You can get three spout out of a 1-lb flat bottom bowl.


5 comments:

DirtKicker Pottery said...

You sure did that design justice! Gorgeous!
Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

smartcat said...

Great design and, of course, beautifully executed!

I did a gravy boat years ago. I'll have to see if I saved the prototype.

smartcat said...

P.S. Have you decided how to glaze?

Lori Watts said...

Thanks, friends!
Because I have several, I will try out different glaze schemes. Interiors glazed, of course, then the upper portion - to the throwing line - glazed, same or different. The lower parts will probably have flashing slip either by itself or with glazed-trailed dots, stripes, or curliques.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Lori! This is terrific. I'm inspired. Thanks for your generosity in sharing this.