Saturday, March 12, 2016

Ovals in my Dreams


Having anxiety means I tend to over-prepare...that's when I don't freeze up and fail to prepare at all. This would be one of the former instances: I've been making stretched oval butter dishes all day, so that I'll be able to make them in my sleep come Thursday, when I will be demonstrating this form in the Process Room at NCECA. I even talked as I worked, describing what I was doing as though I had an audience, so I won't have to think of all the words while the eyes are on me.

In some ways this is silly: it's a half hour demo, of a piece that I have made about eight hundred thousand times before. I do demos, with people watching, all the time; it's part of my job. I just really want this to go well.

And, you know, I'm feeling pretty good that it will. I will finish these up tomorrow, and throw a few more, and then pack my bags.

Not leaving until Wednesday, but, you know. I want to be prepared.

3 comments:

Linda Starr said...

it doesn't hurt to be well prepared; I once was interviewed for my lavender farm via an sound pod and thought for sure I'd have a lot of um's or ah's in the talk but when I listened to it later there wasn't one in there at all but I had prepared in advance practicing my answers.

smartcat said...

Toes crossed, but I'm sure it will go like blazes. Wish I could be there!

Lori Watts said...

I timed it today... The demo takes 26 - 28 minutes. Perfect.