Sunday, April 30, 2017

And A Fine Mess It Is


This happy chaos is me trying to squeeze in a firing to be unloaded Saturday morning, as a Maine Pottery Tour event. This was the first time I used the summer studio this year - in the winter it's just the kiln shed. Starting to think the unloading might end up being Sunday morning instead of Saturday. Still, I got a lot of work done today! I cleaned up all the leaves & debris that accumulated in the space over the winter, unloaded the bisque kiln, applied flashing slip to all of the pots that are going to get flashing slip, and waxed all the bottoms & lids. (Oh and during a break I designed another t-shirt!) Tomorrow I am in Portland all day, teaching classes and, in between classes, working at my branch office doing computer-y things like writing the FMP newsletter (The Messy Minute! Shoot me an email at info@finemesspottery.com if you want to be on the mailing list.) So glazing won't happen until Tuesday, and then I only have the morning before I have to leave for Portland again. So, glazing and loading Wednesday, firing Thursday...I dunno, it could work, but it's a tight squeeze.

I have to keep reminding myself that it will be fine, either way. It's almost always fine! Things turn out okay a ridiculous amount of the time. The chaos resolves, more or less, the event happens, more or less, and afterwards anything that went wrong is just a funny story.

2 comments:

- Cindy - said...

The tight squeeze sounds doable. And things go wrong when you don't expect them to, so as long as you are a little nervous and keep calling it a 'tight squeeze', everything should turn out fabulous. Right? ;) I am very familiar with Murphy's Law. Good luck on your firing!

Lori Watts said...

Thanks Cindy!